On a recent Saturday afternoon excursion, me and Dave decided to venture to Montana Avenue for some lunch and a stroll, and before we knew it, it had turned into one of those great unplanned afternoons. We ate French toast at The Courtyard Kitchen, had a mooch around the cute little shops (I spent most of the time in The Detox Market) and then we finished off the day with a glass of wine at Malibu Farm over looking the ocean. As we sat looking out at the ocean, we talked about how excited we were to be in LA. We talked about our travels, and where we’d like to visit next. I’d like to think I reflect often on what I’m grateful for, but sometimes it’s nice to say it out load or write it down, so I thought I’d share what I’m most grateful for this Thanks Giving. Cheers!
- Taking Risks – The main one of course, moving to LA and turning my whole life upside down and practically starting again. It’s very easy to sit and talk about things you’d like to do, and LA could have very easily turned into that, but I’m so grateful we were willing to take a risk. The whole experience really took me outside my comfort zone, moving away from loved ones, finding somewhere to live and don’t even get me started on how nervous I was to take my US driving licence! But it was totally worth it, and for anyone wanting to know more about our move I wrote this post – Why I moved To LA.
- My Support Network – Aka Dave (my husband), family and friends. I am beyond grateful to have such wonderful people in my life, who love and care so much about me, my health and my happiness. There is no greater gift, and I don’t know if I could have gone through such a big life changing move without their love and support.
- New Hobbies – Namely, a new found love of photography. It’s funny, throughout my career I have been surrounded by photography, mainly because of the industry I work in, but it wasn’t until I started rebranding my blog that I really fell in love with photography, art direction and currating imagery for my own personal projects. It helped me tie the two together, my work as a makeup artist and as a blogger, and it’s helped me find what I want to say, what I want to share, and how to share it. I often head out with my Olympus Pen F Camera and its such great escapism just looking at the world and seeing what catches my eye. A new hobby is definitely good for the soul!
- Time Out – What with the move and what felt like starting again with my career in some ways, life definitely become a little bit hectic, and myself and Dave decided we needed some down time to escape the madness and make some time to enjoy and appreciate the work we’d put into making a new life for ourselves. We decided to book our first proper holiday in 9 years! Yep, no exaggeration there, we’ve done lots of mini breaks, and weekends away, but never had we booked a holiday without laptops that was longer than 4 days. We decided on Tulum in Mexico which was everything we hoped for and more, amazing sunsets, white sandy beaches and all the guac a girl can eat! It was so good to sleep in, eat for the sake of eating and order Pina coladas at noon! Safe to say I highly recommend it and if you fancy seeing what we got unto in Tulum (apart from eating copious amounts of Mexican food) you can see my Postcard from Tulum here.
- Trusting My Gut – This still terrifies me, as my default setting is to want to hear everyone elses option on something only I can decide, and while practice makes perfect, I’m definitely getting there.
- Spending More Time Outdoors – Naturally, living in LA makes this a lot easier than when I lived in London, and I have so much gratitude to be able to run on the beach whenever I feel like it, play volleyball in the sand and choose outside dinning whener we go for a meal (it’s the little things).
- Sunshine – no explanation needed!
- Acceptance – Over who I am and how I look. Generally, I like who I am and I can look in a mirror and see something I like. Don’t get me wrong, I have my days where I don’t feel like that, but what a relief it is to see my body as perfect for me, more times than not, and to feel confident in the skin I’m in. I love dressing up, putting makeup on and dancing to Beyonce while I get ready to go out. I love food and being with people. I’m grateful I accept my body and all it does for me.
- My Health – The fact that my body is capable of running, doing yoga and getting me from A to B. As I get older I appreciate it even more.
- You Guys – Yep corny but true! I am so grateful you read my blog, watch my videos and connect with me on social media. I couldn’t ask for a lovelier bunch of supporters and whatever you are doing this Thanks Giving, whether you celebrate this holiday or not, I wish you all health and happiness!
What are you grateful for this Thanks Giving?